Tuesday, June 5, 2007

A Half Birthday

Or maybe just a quarter-birthday. Certainly not an occasion for champagne or cake. In the life of a book, it's not much of an occasion.



Nonetheless, I feel like marking the "completion" of a reading draft of my next novel. The final pages are spitting out of the printer upstairs, and I am a little scared. For a year and a half, this story has been working, and I've only shared a couple of pages with my trusted Becky and my writing club. It's just a reading draft, but that means that I'm going to have to let my readers, um... look at it. And though I have loved working on this monstrosity that currently weighs in at 127,00 words, 355 pp. 1.5 space, I'm terrified that I haven't pulled it off.

I guess I'll have to trust the fact that I smile when I think of my characters and parts of their story, and trust my readers to help me figure out what I've got wrong.

Here goes nothing!

4 comments:

Brian Farrey said...

That's pretty much where I'm at right now on my first draft: "Does this really suck? Am I only fooling myself?" We'll see what my thesis advisor says in a couple weeks.

Emma said...

Will your book be available in the mainstream piece-of-corporate-crap bookstores I frequent, such as Barnes&Noble (I basically live there. It may not be normal, actually)? Because I am getting very excited to read the whole thing. And I loved your bar comment on my last post, v. v. v. hilarious.

Brian Mandabach said...

Brian: exactly. Hope it goes well. It's great to have a thesis advisor. Mine was natural history writer Ann Haymond Zwinger (that's what I was writing at the time) and she was AMAZING. Never would have been able to write a novel without her.

Emma: I sure hope so! If not, you'll have to order a few dozen so they wake up to the heavy demand and start stocking the bejeezus out of it!

Carissa Duhamel said...

What's the general plot to this new novel?