Sunday, February 3, 2008

Books from High School English

WHAT BOOKS FROM ENGLISH CLASS DO YOU HATE?

WHICH BOOKS DO YOU LOVE?


I read
THIS BLOG about how much Teen Book Reviewer hates Holden Caulfield and The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, and I wondered:


What other books that I love do you hate? Or maybe you love them, too?

I loved these, and more, often because I had great English teachers who taught the books with love. It wasn't until college that I thought we over-
analyzed, but I come from a family of English majors. I expected the great books to be great, I assumed that they would lead me into mysterious and sublime realms, and they usually did.


Other titles I remember are Romeo and Juliet, Macbeth, Hamlet, and Julius Caesar; poems by Robert Frost; Arthur Miller's The Crucible; Faulkner's The Sound and the Fury; The Plague by Camus; How to Kill a Mockingbird; The Odyssey; Dandelion Wine, by Ray Bradbury, Paul Zindel's The Pigman, and many more!

Some were pretty difficult, and Walden I loved not just because of the ideas (or ideals), but because Mr. Nelson was so intense about it that I really wanted to understand and live the ideals.

But enough about me. Maybe I was just a little English teacher in the making!



I got lots of great comments on the subject at my myspace blog, but you should go to to Teen Book Review and comment.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Walden kind of sucked my brain out, but there have several books that I've read for school and adored. All Quiet On the Western Front, O Pioneers!, Streetcar Named Desire and several that I can't think of.